Sombrero Reef Snorkeling Tours
If you would like to experience one of the planet’s largest and most spectacular barrier reefs, join us for one of our Sombrero Reef Snorkeling Tours. At Starfish Marathon Snorkeling Tours, we take guests to the magnificent Sombrero Reef where an underwater wonderland full of magnificent living coral and teeming tropical fish.
Our courteous staff will make your Sombrero Reef snorkeling adventure captivating, comfortable, and unforgettable as you cruise to your destination in our entirely covered custom catamaran. Our vessels also feature freshwater showers and concessions, making it possible for snorkelers of all ages to enjoy the splendor of Sombrero Reef.
Even your snorkeling gear is included. Join us for a snorkel tour to Sombrero Reef and discover Florida’s underwater crown jewel.
Sombrero Reef Snorkeling Tours Aboard ‘The Starfish’
- Sombrero Reef National Marine Sanctuary and Lighthouse is recognized as the best place to snorkel in the entire Florida Keys
- Enjoy spacious comfort on our Coast Guard Approved custom catamaran
- Measuring 30 acres, Sombrero Reef boasts large boulder and branch coral formations – home to countless tropical fish
- Our Sombrero Reef snorkel crew will do whatever they can to make your trip memorable
- We are a family friendly, locally owned business, so join us when you visit Marathon, FL
The great barrier reefs on our planet are precious. Like underwater rainforests, they teem with wildlife and colorful corals. Sombrero Reef is alive. It is a place where parrotfish feed on the living coral while trumpetfish try to blend in among its branches. The reef is protected, so you can expect to see large schools of grunts and snappers swimming among large grouper hiding in the crags and looking for a meal.
At Starfish Marathon Snorkeling Tours we take you to the heart of the action on board a safe and spacious catamaran that offers comfort and total protection from the sun. We do not allow scuba gear or personal coolers on board our vessel during snorkeling excursions. The reason is because we want all of our guest to have the luxury of moving freely on the deck, without risk of stubbing their toes or taking a spill. Our full-deck covering allows everyone to remain protected from Florida’s unforgiving ultraviolet radiation.
Bring everyone in your family on one of our Sombrero Reef snorkel tours, and experience one of the planet’s most famous barrier reefs for yourself.
Sombrero Reef Snorkeling Tours in
Beautiful Marathon Florida
We welcome guest from all over the globe who are vacationing in the Florida Keys and eager to experience the unrivaled beauty of Sombrero Reef. Over 30 acres in size, the reef is alive and thriving, and filled with all sorts of neon-colored tropical fish.
Because Sombrero Reef is only between 2 to 30 feet deep, it attracts snorkeling enthusiasts who appreciate getting up close and personal with their underwater friends. You also don’t need any fancy diving apparatus to enjoy the natural beauty of the reef.
During the seven mile journey in the Atlantic Ocean from Marathon to Sombrero Reef, we commonly spot dolphins cruising to their own secret destinations.
Sombrero Reef Snorkeling
We seek to educate all of our guests about the rules that govern the reef, so that future generations can enjoy it just as much as we do. Coral is a living organism, and the clicking noises you hear while snorkeling is the teeming animals living and feeding around the coral. We want you to enjoy every minute of your snorkeling adventure, but please be mindful of these important rules:
- DO NOT stand on the coral while snorkeling
- Always use the buddy system, which means to snorkel with a friend
- All snorkelers MUST be good swimmers – ride-along passengers are welcome
- Weight restrictions apply: Maximum 275 pounds per USCG Title-46 Code of Federal Regulations 178.330
- Other restrictions: No coolers please and no spray sun lotion onboard.
- There are no age restrictions. Please purchase tickets for all passengers, including riders.
Don’t touch or remove coral from the reef – it is against the law
Information about Our Sombrero Reef Snorkeling Catamaran
Our boat is obstruction-free because we want every passenger, no matter their age, to fully enjoy every moment of their snorkeling adventure. Throughout the season we operate three snorkeling trips daily, and we are open year-round.
The Starfish is a luxuriously powered custom catamaran with a spacious deck that is fully covered and protected from the sun. The vessel has a freshwater shower so that you can rinse off after snorkeling in the saltwater, and a shaded lounging area that everyone can enjoy. We provide your snorkeling gear for free, and offer the following extras:
- Prescription snorkeling masks for nearsighted guests
- Wetsuit rentals
- New mouthpieces
- Sun lotion
- Motion sickness tablets
We do not allow spray-on sun lotion on board our Sombrero Reef snorkeling tours because the overspray from these products can cause the deck to become slippery and dangerous. We don’t want an injury to ruin anybody’s snorkeling tour, which is also why we don’t allow personal coolers or scuba gear. We want everyone to have plenty of room to move about the boat freely, so it’s a rule that makes good sense.
Ask about Our Specialty Cruises and Private Charters
The Starfish is available for private charters, either to Sombrero Reef, another special destination, or for just cruising around. We cater to families, friends, and business associates looking to enjoy their own private moments on Florida’s famed Sunshine Coast. We can customize a charter for:
- Corporate Events
- Special Occasions
Snorkeling is undeniably our passion, but we can customize your private charter around dolphin watching, a romantic sunset cruise, or an unforgettable picnic on an uninhabited island. If you have questions about our private charters, don’t hesitate to call for more information.
A Few Other Thoughts about Our Sombrero Reef Snorkel Tours
Sometimes weather gets in the way of our plans, so we have to forego snorkeling at Sombrero Reef and head to one of our other premier destinations away from rough and dangerous waters. The Captain is the person who makes the call, and we trust their judgment.
Other things you should know:
- No refund if cancelled within 24 hours of your tour. Alternate locations are utilized based on real time conditions, a 24 hour cancellation policy applies to all trips regardless of destination.
- We reserve the right to cancel any snorkeling trip for any reason
- No refunds. No exceptions
- Check in for your snorkeling trip AT LEAST 30 minutes prior to departure or your reservation will be forfeited
- Check-in cutoff times are 8:30am and 12:30pm
We operate 3 snorkeling trips daily from Marathon to Sombrero Reef during the full season – 9am to 12pm – 1pm to 4pm – Sunset Tours (when in season). We are open throughout the year. Located just north of the famous 7-Mile Bridge in Marathon in the Sea Dog Charters Marina, we are eager to share our love of Sombrero Reef and its unrivaled beauty.
Morning : $49.00 – Afternoon : $49.00
+ tax (other tour fees may apply)
Private Charter • Starting at $2,000.00
+ tax (other tour fees may apply)
• All prices are in US dollars
• Prices subject to change without notice